Thursday, April 17, 2008

New Beginnings

Due to computer/internet issues, I am once again changing my blog. As the title states, it's time for a new beginning, a clean slate.

As I contemplated a bit about what I would write here, I decided that this is going to be a place for me to express how God is working in my life, through the struggles and difficulties that come daily. All too often I fail to share my faith with others. Too many opportunities have been missed. Instead of spending hours of my life on facebook, I have decided to use the internet to my benefit, and hopefully in some little way, make a difference somehow.

The name of my blog comes from the song Blackbird by the Beatles. Over the past couple weeks whenever I've heard it, I have really connected with this song, because sometimes I feel like blackbird. Ugly compared to most. Gaudy. Different. Awkward and clumsy. Unaccepted... the list could go on forever. We just want to be as beautiful as the cardinals and as graceful as the eagles... but we lead ourselves to believe we're not. Our society has put so many lies into our heads, leading us to believe that we will never be perfect. But we can't accept it. God has made us who we are, and though we may feel like blackbirds, we have to accept that God loves us through our failures and blemishes.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

So many times we screw up, and every time it's like breaking a wing. We have to live with the consequences. There's constant pain and regret for our stupidity. We dream of being able to fly again, but then reality hits in. We can't. We're invalids, separated from our hopes and dreams. Thankfully God comes, taking our brokenness, our blindness, our guilt, our pain, and patches us up.

The road to recovery is long, and we still fall, but we have to keep dreaming. We have to keep learning to fly. Someday we'll be able to soar, but for now we have to wait... wait for our broken wings to heal.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." -Matthew 5:3-5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is incredible how God has us experience redemption, yet also consequences, from our sin at the same time. Cheyenne, when you get a chance, you should sit down and listen to Mr. Mister's "Broken Wings". It's totally 80's, but an appropriate prayer in light of your post. Keep sharing. We'll all be blessed.

DanZ said...

Let me clarify. The chorus makes offers a cool compliment! (Hey, the 80's were almost 30 years ago now.)

"Take these broken wings you've got to learn to fly, learn to live and love so free. When we hear the voices sing the book of love will open up for us and let us in."